The Greater Nashville Regional Council is designated as the region’s economic development district by the State of Tennessee and the U.S. Economic Development Administration. Through its community and economic development programs, GNRC brings together elected officials, community and business leaders, as well as industry professionals and citizens to build stronger and more resilient communities.
GNRC provides a range of services to assist communities in increasing economic prosperity and improving quality of life, such as affordable housing preservation, industrial development, infrastructure improvements, job creation, tourism development, and workforce development. These services include
- Grant Writing and Administration – GNRC assists local governments and other public agencies in the preparation, submission, and administration of state and federal grants.
- Home Owner Assistance - GNRC provides resources to homeowners through its partnership with the Tennessee Housing Development Authority (THDA).
- Qualified Opportunity Zones Network – GNRC, in collaboration with the Nashville Chamber of Commerce and local governments, launched the Greater Nashville Qualified Opportunity Zones Network to elevate the profiles of the qualified opportunity zones in the region and to provide a pathway to connect communities to investors.
- Small Business Lending – Through the Mid-Cumberland Area Community Development Corporation (MADC), GNRC offers loan programs that provide small businesses with financing to purchase long-term fixed assets.
- Strategic Planning – GNRC leads the development of the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS), which establishes the region’s economic development goals and plans for action.
- Technical Assistance – GNRC works with economic development agencies, such as industrial development boards, to build the capacity necessary to execute economic development initiatives. GNRC also provides technical assistance to promote the creation and preservation of affordable housing in the region.